Thursday, September 22, 2011
Today was a huge success. One is done. The other soon to follow.
I made a few tools for the repair. This brass mandrel and a long thin steel burnisher for pushing out from inside. The secret to removing the bakelite from the silver, was a formula that the deYoung Museum, Objects Specialist, shared with me. She saved me hours of tedious work. Acetone plus Ethanol; put it on cotton balls, then stuff the end holes of the bracelet with the cotton soaked in the mixture.
Cover with saran wrap. I used plastic wrap. Waited half hour, (was afraid to wait longer, for fear the bakelite would be effected.) Then I was able to ease the pieces out, one by one. For extra measures of safety, I covered the surface of bakelite with a soft wax. Not sure this is necessary.
I know this all sounds so boring, but one day, this info may come in handy. And you will not need to do the research I had to do. Next hours of steel burnishing to remove deep scratches and dents with a flat headed highly polished hammer, over shapes of steel or brass.
Posted by Smithing at 10:16 PM
Posted by Smithing at 9:46 PM